Monday 13 September 2010

Top Textiley things to do before Christmas.

If you are a textiles bunny then you have a wonderous few months ahead of you in terms of real hands on inspiration - the following shows will almost make up for you missing the Maison Margeila at Somerset House...!
So first off is the AMAZING Origin trade show, historically at Somerset House but now relocated to Spitalfields - an impressive line up of today's most exciting designer/makers under one roof, all more than happy to sell you their products - you might end up needing a second mortgage but you will own beautiful things! I will be taking my new second years and foundation group this year so maybe I'll see you there? www.originuk.org 23-29th September 2010 Old Spitalfields Market London E1 6EU. Advance sale £8, £10 on the door.




Next up is the Matthew Williamson exhibit at Somerset house. This is geared up to run alongside the release of his new book. Williamson is one of our most exciting designers and this looks like it will be an interesting show. www.somersethouse.org.uk/fashion/1285.asp 13th October 2010 - 30 Jan 2011 Courtyard rooms - free admission.

Next is Future Beauty - 30 years of Japanese fashion at the Barbican (check out their freeB deal). I am a massive Japanese fashion fan and will make this a priority trip. What is not to love about the Japanese elite?! www.barbican.org.uk/artgallery/event-detail.asp 15th October 2010 - 6th February 2011 £8.00 online, £10 on the door.
Finally, the Drawing Fashion exhibit at the Design Museum is another show that I will be dragging students to this year - this time the new BTEC cohort - and the great thing about this is that we will get to walk along the Southbank, which is without doubt, one of my favourite parts of London. I have never seen an exhibition of fashion illustration before, and as I regularly attempt to teach this myself, it will be very exciting to see some really good stuff in the flesh! www.designmuseum.org/exhibitions/2010/2010-drawing-fashion 3rd November 2010 - 6th March 2011. Adults £8.50, students £5.00.

1 comment:

  1. I stumbled across your blog and I couldn't believe my eyes. I'm actually studying to be a professor in textiles and fashion, too! I graduate in May with my PhD. I just wanted to stop by and say hello since we had so much in common.

    http://ashleyanderic.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete